Sunday, July 13, 2008



I just got home a little bit ago from one of the most insane sporting experiences of my life. A football game at MaracanĂ£. It was a great game to attend because Flamengo and Vasco were playing each other and those two teams have a huge rivalry. Anyone in Rio will typically either cheer for Flamengo, Vasco, Fluminense, or Botafogo. By cheer I mean live, eat, and breath that team.

It took us around 40 minutes of bus-hopping and subway riding to get to MaracanĂ£ but the travel time was worth it. All of the people at the game are fanatical and there are constantly huge group cheers and flags waving, not to mention the fireworks and flares illegally brought into the game. A small police force waits outside the gates to make sure that there isn't any trouble between fans of the two teams. Greenstreet hooligans in real life.



Cau was excited to convert me into a Flamengo fan and after tonight I can say that I definitely am. Flamengo ended up winning 3-1 and they are currently in first place in the league. As an added bonus Ja Rule was in the stands as well.


The game tonight may be the most insane sporting event I will ever attend in my entire life. Here is my doing my best impression of "I'm an idiot foreigner lets see how much I can stick out" for a picture.

I think tomorrow is going to be a sit around and do nothing day after the intensity of this weekend. Maybe windsurfing if the weather cooperates.

No comments: