Saturday, July 5, 2008


I spent some time walking the beach today. I am still amazed at the general lightheartedness of the Brazilians I've seen and met. I know that Brazil faces a multitude of issues and problems that need to be dealt with, but its hard if not impossible to think of anything negative when you're on a beach and the foremost thought in everyone's mind is only to enjoy the moment at hand. I will admit that my view of Brazil is highly romanticized because I have not seen the poverty and pain that is an integrated part of life in the favelas (slums).


At first I was apprehensive to come down to Brazil alone. I worried that without bringing friends, the trip would not be as fun. I consider myself lucky now though, as being the only American amongst a group of incredibly friendly and hospitable Brazilians has given me the opportunity to experience a small taste of what it is like to be a local, albeit this taste comes without the realities of a job.

No comments: